Are you a talented, motivated individual who wants to work in an environment where your input is valued and fresh ideas are welcomed? LS Networks is a quickly growing telecommunications company founded in Portland with the mission of bringing high-speed internet services to rural areas and is looking for a talented Outside Plant Engineer to add to the team!
The Outside Plant Engineer is responsible for the technical design, planning and implementation lifecycle of OSP expansion at LS Networks. Duties would include field data collection, aerial, underground and premise entrance designs, permit preparation and support, contractor oversight, post-construction inspection and project management reporting. Position requires a comprehensive understanding of OSP design principles in addition to compliance with local, state, and federal regulatory requirements. Ability to balance competing demands on one’s time while producing both quantity of production and a quality product.
- Build and review desktop route designs with Google Earth Pro.
- Travel and execute a fielding protocol to determine route & design options and collect necessary field data to complete designs.
- Work with OSP Support Specialists to validate permitting requirements and translate field data and designs into permit submissions.
- Work with OSP Support Specialists to interface at a field level with permitting entities in a manner necessary to gain confidence and approval.
- Work with CAD to translate field data and designs into permit exhibits used for permit submissions and pre construction plans used for construction.
- Participate in pre-construction review meetings to inform construction personnel or contractors of design and approved methods of installation.
- Field verify construction performance
- Inspect completed construction for quality and compliance with NESC and other standards
- Train auxiliary field staff on data collection protocols
- Review locate paint to determine existing utilities and incorporate into underground designs.
- Meet with customers and building owner staff to design and review entrance designs including in building cable and duct routing.
- Use of Microsoft Excel to create joint use spreadsheets for permit submission.
To perform the job successfully an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- 3 – 5 years’ experience of Fiber/ASE design (aerial and UG placement).
- Experienced with NESC
- Experience with the joint use process with respect to aerial plant design and identifying the necessary requirements in order to successfully gain approval to attach fiber to a foreign owned utility pole.
- Familiar with all aspects of utility poles in regards to height of attachment, space requirements, class of pole, guying, anchors, cable re-arrangements, span lengths and pole replacements. Experienced designing in the underground environment such as manholes, handholes, and pedestals to pull fiber optic cable through conduit and various access points.
- Measures attachment heights, span distances, guying information, angles, etc. and input the information into a utility pole analysis software.
- Familiar with engineering in the public right of way and on private property for the prevention of conflict with existing facilities.
- Ability and willingness to travel as this position requires fielding throughout Oregon, Washington and Northern California.
- Customer service oriented attitude.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Deadline driven, self-motivated, and technically savvy.
- Must hold a valid driver’s license and be insurable.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in related field and/or 5+ years of experience in the telecom industry specifically related to aerial and underground construction.
- Field Of Study: Engineering or Construction Management
- Attention to detail with good organizational capabilities
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands or fingers to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Complete medical & dental coverage starting at 90% employer paid premiums for single coverage.
- Our safe harbor 401(k) plan is available to employees on day 1, and includes a 100% fully vested employer match of up to 4% of your compensation.
- LS Networks encourages staff members to pursue ongoing education and gain industry certifications by offering tuition reimbursement opportunities.
- 9 paid holidays, 2 floating holidays and 15 days PTO start accruing on day 1.
- Flexible work scheduling and work from home ability is also available after 90 days.
- LS Networks employees can also take advantage of local employee store passes, local sporting event tickets and much more!
LS Networks provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, age, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, citizenship status, military status, physical or mental disability, or any other legally protected status.