Play a key role in the success of the organization by leading the engineering and technical team in development efforts, design engineering, development testing, product qualifications, & process documentation. The Manager of Network Engineering is responsible for overseeing various engineering projects, budgets, timelines, and best practice processes ensuring successful completion of tasks.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborate with management, production, and marketing staff to define project specifications and procedures
- Manage and develop the skill set of the engineering team to provide technical support to internal and external customers
- Coordinate and direct projects, making detailed plans to accomplish goals while directing the integration of technical activities
- Propose and oversee budgets and timelines for engineering projects
- Execute and improve tools, systems and metrics to ensure success
- Direct, review, and approve product designs and changes
- Engage in personnel recruiting, directing and development
- Manage the test lab and staff to ensure proper testing protocols are followed per published test guidelines and specifications
- Lead research and development initiatives to identify new products, enhanced services, and improved processes
- Conduct product, feature, and design failure analysis with professional documentation
- Create detailed engineering plans, process, and procedures for engineering staff to use and abide by
- Select correct design concepts and fundamental technology used for new products or improvement for existing ones.
- Review and analyze proposals submitted to determine if benefits derived and possible applications justify expenditures.
- Plan, report and augment capacity as may be necessary to keep ahead of sales and operation needs
- Manage and resolve escalations from support team
- Strong understanding of network models (e.g. OSI) and conceptual frameworks.
- Subject matter expertise in at least two of the following areas: IP and MPLS (including routing protocols), Ethernet (including MEF standards, OAM, QOS, link aggregation, 802.1q stacking), TDM/SONET (including DS1, DS3, OCN, UPSR, 1+1), DWDM and transmission (including link budgeting, fiber characterization, OTDR analysis).
- Understanding of DNS, BIND, ARIN and associated functions within Internet framework.
- Ability to initiate and complete projects with minimal direction and guidance.
- Ability to organize and execute on complex engineering project deployments
- Very strong interpersonal communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Diligent in follow up activities.
- Proven experience working as member of a team.
Education and/or Experience
- S. in Computer Science, Networking, Electrical Engineering or equivalent education plus experience.
- Possess certifications equivalent to Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP), Nokia Network Routing Specialist II (NRS II).
- 5+ years’ experience working in a network engineering role, ideally within the service provider industry.
- 3+ years in a carrier/service provider environment dealing with IP routing and Carrier Ethernet.
- 2+ years’ experience acting in a supervisory capacity preferred.
- Experience working in a Solaris and/or UNIX environment.
- Analytical and mathematical mind, capable of evaluating, troubleshooting, and solving various complex issues.
- Self-motivated attitude with the ability to multitask and thrive in a timeline driven dynamic environment
- Ability to communicate complex topics to a broad audience
LS Networks provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, age, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, citizenship status, military status, physical or mental disability, or any other legally protected status.