Are you a talented, motivated individual who wants to work in an environment where your input is valued and fresh ideas are welcomed? LS Networks is a quickly growing telecommunications company founded in Portland with the mission of bringing high-speed internet services to rural areas and is looking for a talented Network Operations Engineer to add to the team! The Network Operations Engineer is responsible for monitoring, maintaining and repairing the customer network services.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide troubleshooting and repair solutions for customer and network services as part of a Network Operations Center (NOC).
- Collaborate, design solutions and mentor other members of the NOC in solving complex problems as needed.
- Understand, troubleshoot and repair Ethernet, IP, SIP, TDM, DWDM, and MPLS customer and network issues.
- Understand and remotely troubleshoot Fiber Optic networks.
- Coordinate and lead customer and network repair events with Field Technicians/Engineers, customers, and contractors.
- Respond diligently and deliberately to customer inquiries of service issues.
- Provide proactive customer notification of service and network issues.
- Document all work performed in a comprehensive ticketing system.
- Author and document new or enhanced LS Networks best practices and processes for network troubleshooting.
- Operate multiple Elemental Management Systems.
- Monitor, operate and react to a Network Management System (NMS) for customer and network faults.
- Schedule, document, implement and lead maintenance activities when necessary.
- Facilitate customer notification of network maintenance and planned service affecting events when necessary.
- Document, diagnose, and make change recommendations for underlying network architecture issues for submission to Engineering.
- Provide detailed feedback to Engineering on improvements necessary for NMS and OSS for improved service support and repair.
- Generate detailed, comprehensive reports of network events, customer outages, and response times for network performance reviews for management and customers as needed.
- Adhere to, recommend enhancements, and create new internal standards, policies, and procedures to ensure superior customer service as part of a collaborative effort among peers.
- Participate in a call queue and first level escalation requests as required.
- Provide Ethernet and IP network design support for Engineering as needed.
- Identify potential operational support issues, design and create solutions, brief leadership on proposed design, implement solution and provide training to team members on resultant process.
- Provide off-hour, on-call, and weekend customer support coverage as required.
Implementation Duties, as necessary
- Design circuits within and across metro regions for Ethernet, Internet, and TDM services.
- Design accurate, complex network solutions requiring multiple dynamic routing protocols such as OSPF and BGP. Complex networking services include layer 2 Carrier Ethernet and layer 3, and MPLS.
- Provide technical service activation, change, and disconnect of: Internet (BGP & Statically routed), Ethernet (ELINE & ELAN), TDM (DS-1 through STS-192), SIP Sessions
- Assist Engineering with Wavelength (1Gbps through100Gbps)
- Coordinate acquisition of network elements necessary to complete service requests.
- Stage equipment for deployment and installation by Field Technicians.
- Turn-up & test new circuits and coordinates repair activity with the LEC if necessary.
- Coordinate installation and testing of services with Field Technicians and/or end users.
- Support order management: coordinate with customers, service order status updates, and respond to technical customer inquiries.
- Assist with project management of complex customer network implementations.
- Adhere to and recommend enhancements to internal standards, policies, and procedures to maintain efficient and timely delivery of new services.
- Design, document and assist in the implementation of non-standard services for IP, Ethernet, and SIP that are approved by Leadership on an Individual Case Basis.
- Perform additional duties or projects as assigned
- Proven experience working as member and mentor of a team.
- Comprehensive understanding of MPLS, Ethernet and IP operating within a service provider network.
- Understanding of SIP, VPLS and related technologies.
- Understanding of DNS, BIND, ARIN and associated functions within Internet framework.
- Understanding of IP and routing protocols (such as BGP4, OSPF, ISIS, IPV4, IPV6).
- Ability to be self-directed to initiate, complete, and meet deadlines of projects.
- Strong interpersonal / written communication skills.
- Strong phone skills.
- Diligent and proactive in follow-up activities.
- Excellent organizational and presentation skills.
Education and/or Experience
- Associates degree in a data communications or networking field or equivalent education plus experience.
- 5+ years of experience working in a mission critical 7x24X365 NOC or service activation group.
- 5+ years in a carrier/service provider environment dealing with SIP, MPLS, IP routing and Carrier Ethernet.
- Experience using and understanding of static, OSPF, BGP and ISIS routing.
- Proven experience with and understanding of Ethernet traffic types, VLANs, Queuing, CoS and LAGs, 802.1q Standard.
- Experience in a carrier/service provider environment dealing with data transmission (MPLS, SONET, DWDM).
- Experience with network design, diagnosis and troubleshooting.
- Ability to implement network topology design.
- Candidates should be skilled in customer-facing situations as well as internal mentoring roles. They should have strong interpersonal and organization skill sets; be comfortable in a dynamic, fast paced environment, and understand that flexibility and accountability feed directly into customer satisfaction.
Physical Demands/Work Environment
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Complete medical & dental coverage starting at 90% employer paid premiums for single coverage.
- Our safe harbor 401(k) plan is available to employees on day 1, and includes a 100% fully vested employer match of up to 4% of your compensation.
- LS Networks encourages staff members to pursue ongoing education and gain industry certifications by offering tuition reimbursement opportunities.
- 9 paid holidays, 2 floating holidays and 15 days PTO start accruing on day 1.
- Flexible work scheduling and work from home ability is also available after 90 days.
- LS Networks employees can also take advantage of local employee store passes, local sporting event tickets and much more!
To apply, please email a cover letter, resume and your salary requirements to HR@LSNetworks.net with your name and the job title in the subject line.
LS Networks provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, age, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, citizenship status, military status, physical or mental disability, or any other legally protected status.