Field Technician II or III
LS Networks is looking for a Field Technician II or III for the Salem area. Are you looking for a job that lets you travel throughout the beautiful Willamette valley and Western Oregon regions? Are you looking for an opportunity with room to learn, develop professional skills and grow within an organization? Do you have what it takes to be a part of a rapidly growing company? Apply today! This position requires residency in the Salem, Albany, Lebannon, Eugene, or Canby area.
Position: Field Technician II (H.S. Diploma or equivalent and/or 2-5 years relevant experience) or Field Technician III (Associates Degree or equivalent and/or 5-7 years relevant experience)
A successful Field Technician installs and repairs fiber optic telecommunications systems and equipment by performing the following duties.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Installation of all necessary equipment to support provider network.
- Troubleshoot in coordination with NOC operators, issues relating to physical plant, equipment failures, power, and device configurations.
- Respond to both emergency and non-emergency NOC dispatch requests to facilitate customer provisioning or fault locates.
- Maintain adequate inventory of plant piece parts necessary for new customer provisioning or sparing of existing asset.
- Install and terminate new fiber, coaxial, copper and power cable including fusion splicing and the building of new cross-connects as needed.
- Install and maintain low voltage powers systems including rectifiers, controllers and batteries.
- Assist Engineering in the creation of preventative maintenance procedures for inside and outside plant.
- Conduct routine preventative maintenance procedures as outlined by engineering.
- Provide input and implement capacity expansion plans specified by engineering.
- Provide input and implement network expansion plans specified by engineering.
- Field anticipated fiber construction for small outside plant projects and produce cost and time frame estimates for completion.
- During large fiber construction projects, work with engineering firm to choose fiber route, monitor contractor performance during build and follow up with quality review upon completion.
- Work to update company outside and inside plant records to reflect actual inventory.
- Assist NOC operator with the configuration and turn-up of customer circuits including some basic knowledge of equipment craft interfaces and syntax.
- Possess a valid Drivers’ License and no major infractions within the last 5 years.
- The job involves travel to infrastructure located throughout the Willamette region, some overnight travel or overnight on-call rotations are required.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Technical Skills – Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others. See specific Technical Skills Detailed Requirements below.
- Customer Service – Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
- Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
- Professionalism – Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Quantity – Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly.
- Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
- Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
Other Skills and Abilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Working knowledge of SONET/DWDM optical networking systems.
- Experience with DS0, DS1, DS3, OC-N and Ethernet services.
- Experience with some or all of the following is desired: OSA, OTDR, optical source and power meter, video scope, visible light source, cable toner, TDM/Ethernet test set, DS0 cable analyzer, fusion splicer, OSP cable locator.
- Experience with customer premise demarc facilities such as RJ21X and NIUs.
- Experience installing copper and fiber-optic demarc extensions
- DC power systems experience.
- Limited experience with colocation/POP design and layout
- Must hold a valid drivers license and be insurable.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
- Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Physical Demands/Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is frequently exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by an employee in this position. These statements are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees in this position.
This position requires residency in the Salem, Albany, Lebannon, Eugene, or Canby area.
To apply email HR@LSNetworks.net with job title in the subject.