Manager of Network Operations
Overall Job Purpose
Manage day to day functions and support of network operations to include incident and change management.
II. Duties and Responsibilities
· Manage all elements of troubleshooting network and customer events, to include documentation, notification, call taking, fault isolation, coordination, escalation and follow up.
· At defined intervals, report on customer circuit and network performance metrics to include availability, latency, packet loss, jitter, and delay.
· At defined intervals, report on team performance indicators including mean time to repair and call handling efficiency.
· Serve as direct escalation resource for Network Operations staff dealing with events and customers needing additional resources or urgent attention.
· Provide leadership, supervision, and periodic performance reviews to direct reports.
· Manage the change management process to include scheduling, customer notifications, and coordination of planned maintenance events.
· Review, select, and introduce new tools as needed to improve new and existing network operations functions in coordination with Engineering.
· Provide troubleshooting and repair solutions for customer and network services as part of a Network Operations Center (NOC).
· Coordinate and lead customer and network repair events with Field Technicians/Engineers, customers, and contractors.
· Respond diligently and deliberately to customer inquiries of service issues as a point of escalation.
· Document, diagnose, and make change recommendations for underlying network architecture issues to Engineering.
· Adhere to, recommend enhancements, and create new internal standards, policies, and procedures to ensure superior customer service.
· Identify potential operational support issues. Design, create and implement solutions and training to team members on resultant process.
· Ensure a 24-hr, 7 days/week network support coverage, to include an on-call rotation.
To perform the job successfully an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
· Technical Skills – Knowledge and technical proficiency at the supervisory level addressing all aspects of the planning, installation, operation, maintenance and reporting of the following technologies (and related products):
o SONET / TDM
o Ethernet / MEF / OAM
o OSS (Alarm management, ticketing)
o IPv4 / IPv6
o MPLS / VPLS
o BGP / OSPF
o Fiber Optic design / testing / maintenance
· Self-Awareness – Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
· Customer Service - Understands the nature of Network Operations Center support, services offered and customer expectations. Capable of managing other technical personnel in periods of high stress while resolving incoming issues effectively and maintaining overall priorities. Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
· Project Management: Able to conceptualize and compartmentalize large projects into smaller objectives. Able to accurately project costs, predict variables, and deliver on timeframes. Manages large teams of complimentary yet diverse individuals towards a common interest.
· Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops challenging yet realistic action plans.
· Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own and team actions; Follows through on commitments.
· Quantity - Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly and accurately.
· Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
· Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
· Management - Recognizes strengths and weaknesses in others. Determines appropriate incentives to motivate individuals. Firm yet compassionate. Creates and communicates a clear team vision with achievable objectives.
IV. Education and/or Experience
· Two year technical diploma or equivalent additional experience
· 5+ years network services industry experience
· 2+ years with customer support or customer service experience
· 2+ years’ experience in a supervisor capacity within a network support department is preferred
· Operational experience with SONET, MPLS, Ethernet, Wavelength and IP Networks
· Familiarity with Fiber Optic physical plant operations
V. Physical Demands/Work Environment
· The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
· The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by an employee in this position. These statements are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees in this position.
Job Type: Full-time