Outside Plant Fiber Technician
The primary responsibilities of the Outside Plant Technician will be to splice & test fiber optic cables in both outdoor and indoor settings, read, create and maintain splicing schematics and diagrams, maintain control of outside plant (OSP) activities surrounding the assigned work site(s), taking and maintaining accurate splicing and field notes, support project timelines, and inspecting, designing and providing accurate staking sheets for projects. Other duties, responsibilities and qualifications may be required and/or assigned.
This position requires field work which may include overtime, weekends, holidays, and off hours. Area travel will be required and may be up to 10%, depending on business needs.
Essential Job Functions:
- Splice & test loose tube fiber optic cables. Construct a proper splice case, including but not limited to: grounding, bonding, isolation, slack storage and sealing. Prepare and maintain splicing records, schematics and diagrams.
- Perform work in accordance with industry standards. Be familiar with NESC & NEC standards, read and follow design engineers instructions and specifications, maintain the scope of work on the project and adhere to safety procedures.
- Prepare engineering field notes. Interpret buried underground and aerial telecom facilities in records, on maps and in the field with clarity and detail and make recommendations for changes in running line or construction methodologies.
- Enter and maintain outside plant records.
- Participate in engineering, permit and construction processes to support project contracts.
- Perform routine maintenance. Recognize and repair route issues.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of design techniques, splicing & testing tools, and principles involved in production or precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models. Understanding of how to read Splicing Sheets.
- Knowledge of how to fusion splice and terminate fiber. Know how to place a mid-sheath splice.
- Solid knowledge of OTDR's, power meters and testing techniques.
- Proficiency with Microsoft applications.
- Ability to work with clients regarding engineering problems, confer with customer contacts while communicating with the Construction Manager.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail and make good sound decisions based on information given.
- Ability to multitask and stay organized under pressure.
- Must hold a valid Driver’s License.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum of 2 years
- Experience of construction with Outside Plant Telecom Engineering.
- Desirable work experience includes field engineering and project lead responsibility. Supervisory experience a plus.
- Strong computer skills with Microsoft applications.
- In depth understanding of technology based services, products and networking.
- Experience in Project Management a plus.
To apply, please email a cover letter, resume and your salary requirements to HR@LSNetworks.net with your name and the job title in the subject line
LS Networks provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, age, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, citizenship status, military status, physical or mental disability, or any other legally protected status.